Skip to content

Danish passports after 01/01/2012

Information to Danes abroad.

From 1 January 2012 you need to go to the Embassy at Islamabad if you need a new passport

From 1 January 2012 new Danish passports must contain digital photos, fingerprints and signatures. In this way the security against forgery and misuse of passports is strengthened considerably.  Passports issued until 1 January 2012 already hold a digital photo of the holder.

Your present passport is still valid until the date of expiry.

The decision to introduce fingerprints in passports has been made at central level in the EU as part of the combat against terrorism, human trade, human trafficking, illegal immigration and other transnational crime.  With the new biometric passport Danish citizens are secured the possibility to travel to countries which in the future will demand this type of passport for entry.

With the new passport you are in the best way possible protected against someone stealing your identity and pretending to be you and against forgery of your passport.

In order to issue the new passport installation of special equipment for taking photos and recording fingerprints and signature is necessary.  The applications must be handed to and handled by specially authorized staff, who will have access to certain data in the central citizens registry, the CPR.
As a consequence, from 1 January 2012 it will only be possible to apply for a passport in Pakistan by personal appearance at the embassy in Islamabad.  The Danish honorary consulates in Karachi will from that date no longer receive passport applications.

The same applies already for citizens of other EU countries residing outside their home country. They also have to travel to their nearest embassy or to their home country to apply for a new passport.

What are my options up until 1 January 2012?

Until 31 December 2011 incl., you have the options described under (  The new passports will be valid for 2, 5 or 10 years – just as it is now.

What can be handled by the consulates from 1 January 2012?

After 1 January 2012 the consulates can still extend the validity of passports and issue emergency passports.
A condition for extension of an expired passport is that it expired no longer than two years ago.  A passport can only be extended once and for a maximum of 12 months. We recommend that you make sure that the authorities of the country or countries you plan to travel to recognizes extended passports.  For instance it is not possible to travel without a visa to the USA on an extended passport.
An emergency passport is issued with validity limited to the period required for the duration of the journey and rules of the countries to be travelled through, and for a maximum of 12 months.  An emergency passport must be rendered to the Police or to a Danish mission abroad after use.  Travelling with an emergency passport may cause problems with other countries’ border controls. Therefore we recommend that you make sure that the authorities of the country or countries you plan to travel to recognize emergency passports.

Can I get a new passport during my holiday in Denmark?

Yes.  Already today it is possible – and cheaper – to get a passport with a municipality (kommune) in Denmark.  All Danish citizens can apply for a passport at the Civil Service Center (Borgerservicecenter) in any municipality. It is not necessary for you to reside in or in other way be attached to the municipality.   You can find addresses of Civil Service Centres at  You may wish to call beforehand for information on opening hours, booking of appointment etc. and inform them that you reside abroad.

Can my child be included in my passport?

No. Since 1 October 2004 children, also newly borns and children without names, must have their own passport.  A consulate may issue a temporary (emergency) passport if you are in urgent need of a passport. See above on emergency passports.

Must children also give their fingerprints?

No. Fingerprints are not collected from children below 12 years of age, but they still have to appear in person in order to apply for a passport.  From 1 January 2012 application for passports for children can only be handed in at the Embassy.

Must I also go to the Embassy to collect my new passport?

Yes, you must personally collect your passport.

Passports may only be picked up at the Embassy by prior arrangement preferably by e-mail.

When collecting the new passport the applicant must carry the old passport for cancellation. Also receipt for payment of application fee must be presented. 

If the passport is not collected by the candidate him/herself, the courier should present a mandate from the applicant. The passport of a person under 18 years may be handed to his/her parents or guardians without a written mandate.